Positive Intervention and Supports in Schools
The NJ PBSIS initiative uses a three tiered model of interventions known as school-wide positive behavior support (Sugai et al., 2005) and includes:
- Tier 1: Universal Interventions that teach and reinforce a consistent set of behavioral expectations for all students, staff, and settings school-wide.
- Tier 2: Secondary Interventions that provide small group and individual support for students with repeated behavior problems.
- Tier 3: Individualized Interventions that provide assessment driven, individualized support plans for students with disabilities who have the most intensive needs.
- Improvements in overall building climate
- Reduction in office discipline referrals and suspensions for students school-wide
- Reduction in the number of students who receive repeated office discipline referrals
- Reduction in the number of students referred for special education services; and
- Increase in the number of students with disabilities and challenging behaviors who are successful in general education settings